Header

Image Map

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Favorite Phase of Competition Complete

It's been an exciting week so far full of rehearsals, personal stage preparations, and, my favorite, interview competition! Yes, it isn't everyday you find someone who likes that particular phase of competition, but it has always been my favorite. To be honest, this year it is probably what I've worked the hardest to be ready for. I can't tell you how wonderful it feels to have gone into that interview room and to have been able to walk out with my head held high (and of course my nerves running wild!). I won't give away any details, but I will tell you that there is a surprise for those who watch the pageant this year regarding an interesting "look" at our private interviews.

With interview complete, tonight we will begin the first night of on-stage preliminary competition. I'm in group B and that means I will be donning my beautiful new custom Shelley Kelley evening gown from Clark's Bridal in Jonesboro and the Royal We in Conway. I can't wait to feel that rush of being on stage again. We are so blessed to have such wonderful sponsors in Shelley Kelley and Laine Berry. Our opening number dresses were donated by the Royal We this year and they are fabulous!

Some other updates from the week:

Like I said, this week has been phenomenal so far. Sunday began with the Arrival ceremony. This year's program has been my favorite of the last three years. Long time supporter, volunteer, and board member, June Felix, and her team of hard working creative volunteers were responsible for an impeccable upgrade in the way Arrival is conducted. Placed all around the auditorium were photos of all of the former Miss Arkansas titleholders. You may know that this is the 75th Anniversary of the Miss Arkansas Pageant and I can not think of a better way to honor such a rich history of our wonderful formers. Thank you, Mrs. June for all of your hard work in making this Arrival one I will always remember!

My Arrival look

During the ceremony with my two princesses and our lovely Miss Arkansas.

Before going on stage tonight I just want to mention something that was first shared with me by my pastor, Scot Loyd, in Jonesboro, and again last night from one of my Uganda teammates living in Michigan. (Special, HUGE, thanks to Simone Mullinax for allowing me to borrow her computer to chat with my team last night! I could write a whole blog series on how wonderful and selfless each of our contestants are this year.) My favorite story in the Bible is of Queen Esther. From the pulpit last Sunday, my pastor prayed for my journey at Miss Arkansas this week and he mentioned the favor that Esther found and what she was able to accomplish for God's people because of it. Last night, I was reminded by my friend that Esther was placed in the palace as queen for "such a time as this," and that this competition is not about me. There are 46 other well-deserving and beautiful young women here this week, countless volunteers, and thousands of people who will be watching. This pageant is a phenomenal opportunity. I plan to take it to heart that God has brought me here for such a time as this, and I'm resting in His perfect plan for my life. Whatever the outcome Saturday night, I am blessed beyond measure to be here this week. I'm learning and growing so much. 

"On the third day Esther put on her royal robes and stood in the inner court of the king's palace, in front of the king's quarters, while the king was sitting on his royal throne inside the throne room opposite the entrance to the palace. And when the king saw Queen Esther standing in the court, she won favor in his sight, and he held out to Esther the golden scepter that was in his hand..." -Esther 5:1-2

Thank you for your prayers and support. 


1 comment:

  1. Somer we were so proud of how amazingly well you did and were just dumbfounded at the final results! We love you madly and hope you will stay in touch more than in the blogosphere!

    sweetydarlindesigns@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete