Header

Image Map

Monday, May 14, 2012

Hit the Ground Running!

I'm back! My plane from Atlanta touched down in Memphis last Wednesday! My time in Africa has been one of the most amazing experiences I've ever had the privilege of having in my life. This blog is specifically for my time in the Miss America system. However, if you'd like to read more on my life lived in a 3rd world country over the past four months, you can check out my other blog at http://idwellinhope.blogpot.com.

Not wasting anytime, and still not over the jet-lag, Saturday was my first appearance since being back. I can't explain how amazing it felt putting on the crown as Miss Lights of the Delta for the first time in months. There is just something about getting ready knowing that you are about to make an appearance in public and have the opportunity to meet people from the community you are going into that just builds an incredible excitement. Well, that and the fact that I haven't been around native English speakers in a while! ;)

Saturday was spent starting bright and early at 8:00 am at the Blytheville Fishing Derby. The Derby is hosted by the local Kiwanis Chapter and it's full of family fishing fun! My sister queen, Mason and I, spent the morning checking out the catch before we got the privilege of weighing in the catfish. It was a smelly business, but someone had to do it!

After the Derby, we headed down to Main St. to perform a few fun songs. I loved getting to sing on stage again and feel that adrenaline of performing. We spent our time walking around the booths and eating barbeque. Not a bad day in my opinion! After leaving May Fest I got the wonderful opportunity to spend some time with another one of my pageant sisters and her family. Bethany Bell, you may know her best by her fast and fluid fingers tickling the ivories at Miss Arkansas last year, is one of my dear friends. Her family has been an amazing support to me in my time in Uganda and it is a joy for me to call them my friends. Overall, I had a wonderful first Saturday back in Arkansas. What an honor it is for me to represent the Northeast area in Arkansas. This state couldn't have made my homecoming any more enjoyable if they'd tried. I feel so happily welcomed back and I'm eager to get back to work. Miss Arkansas in July, here I come!



No comments:

Post a Comment