Header

Image Map

Saturday, June 22, 2013

Birthdays, Fundraisers, and 4 Weeks

Four weeks from today a new Miss Arkansas will be crowned! Excited?!!! This weekend 14 contestants were added to the Miss America 2014 class. Miss Arkansas will be the final addition to the group, and I know all 45 contestants in our great state are feeling the thrill of being only 1 month away!

Monday, June 10th, I spoke with the Epsilon Sigma Alpha  (ESA) service organization in Blytheville. These ladies were so kind to allow me to share what I do as a local titleholder, my personal platform of service, and even a little about my testimony from my time spent in Uganda. These ladies do so much in their community and before I left they offered to make a donation to the charity of my choice. Of course, I chose Children's Miracle Network Hospitals! I am very grateful to them for allowing me to come and share my heart of service with those who share my passion of serving the local community.

This week has been very busy! It was my intention to share these things with you Friday, but you know what they say about the "best laid plans..." My goal is to get on a regular schedule of updates every Friday. Just an FYI. So be sure and check back each weekend for details on what I've been up to as Miss River Delta!

Last Saturday I celebrated my 24th birthday! It just so happens that I share this birthday with the Natural State! Arkansas officially became a state on June 15, 1836. Since this blog is meant to allow me to be more transparent with those reading, honestly, it was a bittersweet day for me. Turning another year older always presents exciting opportunities and challenges, but this year the day weighed heavily on my mind as it brought me into my final year of eligibility in the Miss America Organization. This year I will "age out" as we say in the biz. I have enjoyed four wonderful years with the Miss Arkansas Pageant and while turning 24 signifies my final year in competition, I look forward to all the times I will be able to spend in the coming years giving back to this program that has given so much to me!

Thursday of last week I visited the set of our local news station, KAIT8, to talk about my upcoming fundraiser, the Miss Summer Sweetheart Pageant benefiting CMNH. A big thank you to Diana Davis for taking the time to get this set up for me, and to Josh Harvison who I had the pleasure of being interviewed by. I'll tell you more about the event below.

KAIT-Jonesboro, AR-News, weather, sports

Friday, I

Also this week, I hosted a "Change for Children" drive with the Nettleton School's Programs, Little Raider and Camp Raider. When I was in elementary school I attended the Camp Raider program and I was ecstatic to return this week to raise money for CMNH! We began the fundraiser on Monday when I visited each of the groups to get them excited about the week of collecting spare change and  told them that the winning group from each program would receive a pizza party with Miss River Delta. As Friday brought the conclusion of the fundraiser, I got each group's contribution counted before heading back to chow down with the winners. All together both programs raised $361.07!!! Not too shabby for children ages 3-12!

The pageant was a wonderful success! I couldn't have done it without the help of my Diamond State Princesses' moms, Kim Adams and Liane Neshat. These two ladies took over a good majority of the planning and are the primary reason the event went off without a hitch. Thank you to these great ladies I have the privilege of calling my friends!

My beautiful princesses!

In my Master of Ceremonies look courtesy of Clark's Bridal and Formal in Jonesboro!

I'll be spending next week in Blytheville with my sister queens as we practice our on-stage competition, do mock interviews, and visit civic organizations and community programs for what my director has appropriately termed, Beauty Bootcamp. This will be my third year attending bootcamp and I'm looking very forward to serving the community of Blytheville. It has become a second home to me! 

Check back soon for more updates! 

No comments:

Post a Comment