Header

Image Map

Monday, January 10, 2011

Starting Where it Counts

I had the priviledge this past Friday to speak with high school students, 9th through 12th grade, at Blytheville  High School about opportunities they would have in college for participating in leadership and community service.


I believe it is vital that we begin introducing others to service and involvement where it counts, with students still in school. My life has been so widely shaped by my involvement in service organizations throughout high school and college. I was presented so many wonderful opportunities because of my leadership skills, such as traveling to France and Switzerland as an Arkansas State University Global Student Leader. Because of my experiences, I know how important it is to be involved in your community. I, also, understand that the earlier you get involved, the better your service will impact others, enhance the quality of life in your community, and present to you limitless opportunities.

Speaking with the students at BHS was a wonderful experience. Thank you to their teacher Mr. Ben Rutherford who allowed me to take up valuable class time to talk with his students about their options for service and involvement in college. It was wonderful to see so many students genuinely interested in my life experiences and motivated to get involved in their futures.

No comments:

Post a Comment