Header

Image Map

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

MMXI

First, I want to say GOOD LUCK to Miss Arkansas 2010, Alyse Eady, as she embarks for the Miss America Pageant in Vegas! I have enjoyed getting to know Alyse this year, and can say with certainty that she is a beautiful young woman, inside and out, and is well deserving of the Miss America title. I look foward to cheering you on Alyse. You are in my prayers!

I can't believe that 2011 is already here! 2010 held many great memories for me and I'm looking forward to many exciting adventures in the new year. I enjoyed a quiet holiday with family and friends. My mum(not a typo) and I spent our Christmas day all over Jonesboro with family friends. That was a first for us - not to be at home, just the two of us - and a tradition I think we will keep.

I have had a pretty relaxing break from school, so far; working on my thesis project, mostly. I've officially hit the gym for my Miss Arkansas preparations, read two books on women's rights (relevant to my thesis), and I am booked to speak at Blytheville High School on community service and leadership at the end of this week. So, kind of a relaxing break. ;) 

Overall, the past few days have been a great start to the new year! In addition to telling you guys about that, I wanted to share with you some of my goals for 2011.

    I've been working hard on my Honors Senior Thesis entitled "Human Rights Issue: A Critique of Rape as an Instrument of War," and I plan to complete it by April before graduating in May. I received an Arkansas Department of Higher Education Student Undergraduate Research Fellowship for the project, and I'm incredibly anxious to see where it ends up.

    Of course, I'm looking foward to graduating in May with my B.A. in Philosophy and B.S. in Interdisciplinary Studies with University Honors. It is hard to believe, but wonderful to think that my four years of hard work will finally be realized in a few short months.

    My preparations for Miss Arkansas are on my mind constantly! I have set many specific goals that I want to accomplish between now and July for all areas of competition. I was greatly blessed last year, and I know that I have to work much harder this year to see results. When I sit back to reflect on my time in this organization, I am overjoyed to think about the growth I have experienced because of my involvement with the Miss Arkansas and Miss America Scholarship Programs. Two truly worthwhile organizations.

    My final goal that I want to mention to you, is about my future. I have, after much deliberation, decided to take a one year break from my education after completing my two bachelors degrees. In this time, I hope to find work in an internship or other program directly related to my interests in public service and humanitarian work. I don't know yet what God has in store for my life, but I will trust him completely to provide. I came to college with the goal of working in science and have been transformed by my involvement in leadership organizations like the ASU Student Government, my travels abroad, my work on my thesis, and my participation in the Miss Arkansas Pageant. I mention this goal to you in the hopes that you would say a prayer for direction in my next steps. Thank you! I'll write again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment