Header

Image Map

Sunday, June 26, 2011

Beauty Bootcamp

Whew! I'm still recuperating from our week at beauty bootcamp in Blytheville! Every year Marrietta Jerome and Eva Graves, along with the other Miss NEA Pageant Association board members, host a "bootcamp" to prepare their four queens for their state pageants. "Bootcamp" is definitely the right term for it! We have loads of fun, but it is also a lot of hard work. I'll take just a second to tell you about some of the things we got to participate in this week, but first I have to tell you about my trouble getting into Blytheville...

Last year before Miss Arkansas I was told when I went to get my oil changed in June that I would be needing new tires before the end of the summer. Long story short, tires are expensive and as of last Monday, I still hadn't gotten new tires! So I'm driving along on my way to bootcamp when I start to hear a repetitive thudding. You guessed it! Flat tire! Funny as this was NOT, this wasn't the first flat I've experienced in making preparations for Miss Arkansas this year! Two tries and lesson learned...Promise! Travelling with my director earlier this year, we also experienced a flat! Basically, I'm just really unlucky when it comes to tires! ;) I mention this on my blog because I was blessed last week with a set of entirely free, lightly worn, tires. Just when you think there is no where to turn, God is always there reminding you that He is in control, and it would be remiss of me not to mention how greatful I am to know a wonderful, loving, and protective Heavenly Father!

Now back to bootcamp! My sister queens and I spent all of last week experiencing a small taste of what the job of Miss Arkansas is really about. We were apart for one week from our family and friends, we stayed in a hotel, visited local service organizations to discuss our platforms and perform our talents, visited with the Boys and Girls club and learned how to dance (see below), and did all of this while also preparing for our state competition with onstage practice for 4 hours each day! I'll say it again...Whew! The past week has only solidified for me, my desire to one day be Miss Arkansas! This is such a wonderful organization to be a part of and to represent! Just when you think you are too tired to go on, a little girl will come up to you and ask if you are a real princess and can she be one too, you're day will instantly brighten, and you'll remember that what you are doing with that tiara on your poofed up hair is actually making a difference in communities around our state!

Thank you to everyone who made last week possible for me and my sister queens!

Here are a few photos from our week...

Posing with a couple of Lions!

Getting some make-up tips from Lori, one of the Miss NEA Pageant Association Sponsors at her shop, Me and My Sister/Merle Norman!


Telling the kids at the Blytheville Boys and Girls Club about serving their communities!

Dancing to the Cupid Shuffle with the kids!

All of us outside the Boys and Girls club in Blythevile!

No comments:

Post a Comment