Header

Image Map

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

After Miss Arkansas 2011

I was hoping to have this post up a little sooner, but I’ve been going and going since I left Hot Springs. First thing I want to say is…WOW! What a week! My first year at Miss Arkansas was definitely one to remember and I only thought that nothing could live up to it. I was wrong. Returning to the pageant as a veteran provides me with a very unique perspective, and I’m so glad to have had the experience. This year’s pageant was so improved upon from last year, and I didn’t know that was possible. Congratulations to our new Miss Arkansas, Kristen Glover! I've gotten to know her over the past couple of years. I truly feel that this is her year, and I will be posting some more about our friendship later! We share a similar story and I look forward to sharing it with you!
The people who put together this year’s production all the way to the volunteers who did the brunt work went above and beyond what was asked of them and they created, in my opinion, a show that everyone could enjoy. From a contestant’s point of view backstage, the show went by quickly, but efficiently. I had plenty of time to feel comfortable getting back on the stage and I never wished that the show would move along faster. Believe me, when you are competing in an environment as stressful as this, that feeling of comfort is VERY important. I’m very thankful for all of the people who put in all of the time and effort that must have gone into this year’s show. You helped make my week successful.
I am SO, very honored to be the 3rd Runner-Up to Miss Arkansas this year. First of all, coming off of a successful year last year and knowing the caliber of competitors in this year’s competition, I knew that it would be a year to have to work for it. Every contestant brought so much to that stage, and I am humbled to have been chosen a second time for the Top 5.
Speaking of contestants, I won’t name names for fear of forgetting one, but I said it last year and I’ll say it again… I now have 45 new best friends! It makes sense if you think about it. Getting a group of women together with the same drive and competition goals, who live their daily lives in service to their communities, is an equation for friendship. I so enjoyed getting to know, better, my friends from last year. I was honestly surprised at how easy it was to make friends with all of the newer girls. I look forward to getting ready for next July, and that is due in large part to the quality of friends I know that I will make!
I was hoping to tell you a little more during the week of Miss Arkansas, but as you can imagine, it was a little hectic! So instead, I will leave you with a few photos. You can also find me on Facebook. I have tons of photo albums if you want to see more from the pageant!
Thank you for following my journey and for supporting me! I appreciate your continued support as I begin local competition again in preparation for Miss Arkansas 2012! I am pleased to let you know that I will be starting with Miss White River August 5th and 6th in Batesville! I’d love to see you in the audience!
God Bless,
Somer
Top 10!!!
Photo credit: Toni Bahn

Dueling Banjos in my wonderful gown designed by Shelley Kelley!
Photo credit: Creative Touch Photography

Miss America Katie Stam Irk and me! (refer to previous post!)
Photo credit: Michelle Roberts

My biggest fans! Erin, Bret, Jazzy, and little Olivia!

Before leaving Hot Springs! Love the sign!

No comments:

Post a Comment