Header

Image Map

Thursday, July 28, 2011

Moving My Bestie

This week I am writing you from Tempe, AZ! I wish it were under different circumstances, but unfortunately, I am in the process of helping my best friend, Michelle, relocate for grad school. Those of you who know me well, are aware that M (for short) and I have been best friends for the past 10 years. We are polar opposites in absolutely EVERYTHING, but somehow we’ve made it work. We survived four years of high school together, followed by 4 years of college. We both began at Arkansas State University seeking degrees in scientific fields, and in the end, we both graduated with a Bachelor of Arts in Philosophy. You hear talk of soul mates, in the romantic sense (I have yet to find mine), but as for the friend of my soul, that person is Michelle.
So you can imagine how difficult it is to move her 22 driving hours away into Tempe, AZ.  I am, however,  thankful that I’m getting the opportunity to spend this week with her exploring her new hometown. We began our journey with an 18 hour drive from Jonesboro to Deming, NM where we took a day to rest with some of her (amazing) family. May I just say that Texas really IS as big as they say! It was nearly nothing but flat land through most of our trip, and once we made it into New Mexico, the drive was flat, but in the distance the landscape included mountains. Very beautiful! After the last four hours that took us into Tempe, AZ we were definitely happy to see her new home!
She and I have spent the last few days exploring the town, which is right outside of Phoenix. Today we’re thinking of tackling the big city, and if all goes as planned on Friday we’ll visit the Grand Canyon! I’ve never seen this much of the west and I’m crazy excited about getting to see one of our nations natural treasures!
I know this blog is mostly about my experiences in the Miss America Organization, but Michelle has been with me through it all. She was there Saturday night at Miss Arkansas cheering me on, and I’m going to miss her complaining (though with little conviction) about my dragging her all over for preliminary pageants!  Here are some of our photos! Hope you enjoy.
Much Love,
Somer
Michelle and me in New Mexico!

Michelle and the massive real-life cactus! (we were impressed, ha!)

No comments:

Post a Comment